once was seat of the Tyrolean sovereigns...
The Imperial Palace at Innsbruck - the Capital of the Alps - once was seat of the Tyrolean sovereigns...
The Imperial Palace was erected by Archduke Siegmund the Rich in late Gothic style around 1460. It was rebuilt in the Baroque style (but with rococo detailing) between 1754 and 1773 on orders of Empress Maria Theresa. The Palace, flanked by a set of domed towers, is a fine example of Baroque secular architecture. The structure has four wings and a splendid two-storey Riesensaal, painted in white and gold and filled with portraits of the Habsburgs.
The Imperial Apartments consist of 25 state apartments dating from the 18th and 19th century and the giant hall (the Alps most lavish banqueting hall).
The Gothic Cellar can be rented for special events. Don´t miss a visit to the adjoining Sacher Café of Innsbruck. Guided tours directly at the Imperial Palace and by Per Pedes.