Rinn & Culture
On the trail of times gone by
The name "Rinn" probably derives from the Rhaeto-Romanic word "Run" meaning a land-clearing site and was first officially documented as "Runne" back in 1250.
“Speckbacher” is a name that frequently crops up in Rinn, for a historical reason in many cases. The Tyrolean freedom fighter Josef Speckbacher fought not only on the side of Andreas Hofer, but also on the side of Katharina Lanz, the heroine of Spinges, against the French occupation troops. A fearless daredevil but, at the same time, a shrewd tactician, he married Maria Schmieder from Rinn in 1794 and, from then on, worked on Maria’s farm. Josef Speckbacher’s grave can be seen in the "Hofkirche" (court church) in Innsbruck.
Rinn gained popularity as a holiday village even before the First World War. A historical tourist brochure reads:
“Rinn, one of the first climatic health resorts in the Tyrolean “Mittelgebirge” region, is particularly popular due to the ozone-rich air and the outstanding drinking and bathing water quality. Rinn is situated right next to a beautiful coniferous forest, in a wind-free location with magnificent views of the entire “Nordkette” mountain range all the way to the Upper Inn Valley and to the “Hohe Kaiser” near Kufstein.”
The "Lavierenbachbad" with hotel was, for a long time, a popular place for drinking and bathing treatments and for health-restoring stays.
Boasting an especially scenic setting is the church in Rinn-Judenstein. Constructed in 1670, it was originally built as a pilgrimage church on account of a legend of ritual murder. In 1994, Innsbruck’s Bishop Reinhold Stecher revoked its pilgrimage status. Today, the pretty little Baroque church serves as a memorial for abused children and adolescents.