Plague column Axams
When the black death raged in Tirol.
Our holiday village was plagued by two plague epidemics in the 14th and 17th century. The first wave hit the village of Axams in the year 1348. The second epidemic raged in Omes, Kristen and Birgitz in the year 1630. To this day, the plague pillar still reminds in the middle of the village center of Axams. Originally built in the Richtergasse, this granite column was later positioned directly on the Dorfplatz. The stone column of breccie has a three-sided design with painted quadrangle as well as a pyramid roof of stone. The picture panels in these niches with representations of saints were made by Anton Tiefenthaler around 1950.
Contact & informationPestsäule Axams
Sylvester Jordan Straße 2