The Ottoburg stands proudly at the northern entrance to the historic old town, near the Inn Bridge. Ottoburg could be translated at Otto Castle and it certainly looks like a bit like an Austrian castle with its many bay windows and red and white painted shutters. However, the building is actually home to a restaurant serving Tyrolean cuisine and Austrian specialties. The interior is also worth seeing: the restaurant has several small traditional dining areas with cross and star vaults.
The location is ideal for a break while exploring the city and the setting is wildly romantic: the age-old walls are hung with ivy and were originally part of the old city wall in the 15th century. As with many of the buildings in the historic old town, the Ottoburg dates back to the time of Emperor Maximilian. In front of the Ottoburg, facing the River Inn, is a monument called "Vater und Sohn" (Father and Son). It is a work by Christian Plattner and a tribute to the fight for freedom in 1809. Incidentally, this was also the time of Tyrol's legendary hero Andreas Hofer.