- Neighbouring villages
- Southern holiday villages
- Western holiday villages
- Kühtai - Sellraintal
- Sonnenplateau Mieming & Tirol Mitte
Unique from all sides - 868 metres above sea level atop a sun-blessed low mountain range, just seven kilometres away from Innsbruck, lies the beautiful 4,000-inhabitant holiday village of Götzens, with its many listed 17th and 18th century farmhouses in the Ostergasse. Here, the so-called 'Mittertennhöfe' possess wonderfully characteristic gables and bay windows, complemented by the ancient weathered ramparts of the impressive Vellenberg Castle ruins. The castle was built in the twelfth century and overlooks the landscape from an overhanging knoll at the village's entrance. The ruins were once used as a court and, in the 15th century, housed the renowned minstrel with the twinkling eyes, Oswald von Wolkenstein, but was unfortunately destroyed by a heavy earthquake in the 17th century. The ruins are now privately owned and not accessible. In its own impressive way, the pilgrimage church of St Peter and Paul seduces the visitor both architecturally and acoustically. The 18th-century rococo church is not only a place of pilgrimage, but also a venue for top-class concerts, and the final resting place of the martyred priest, Otto Neururer.
The history of a Götzens hero
Otto Neururer was born in Pitztal in 1882 and was the parish priest in Götzens from 1932 until 1938. Characterised by his far-sightedness, he recognised the future dangers of National Socialism at an early stage. In 1938, one of the girls from his parish wanted to marry a member of the Nazi paramilitary organisation, the SA. Neururer advised her against it, but the offended soldier never forgot this, and ensured that the priest was arrested and sent to Buchenwald concentration camp, where he continued to offer strength and comfort to his fellow prisoners, despite being forbidden to do so. These actions cost him his life on 30th May 1940. Dead, but not forgotten, the town's inhabitants still hold their charismatic priest close to their hearts, and honoured him in 2015 with a plaque and named the town's peace bell after him.