The white marble Viertelsäule column presents a little mystery to local history. Where does it come from? What does it mean? Unfortunately, we don't know. The Gothic Viertelsäule at "Sunnbichl" is even featured in the coat of arms for the village of Ampass. Yet records of the column from the archives only date back to 1840.
The origin of the column is still uncertain. Some say it is a pillar of justice that was used to display a quarter of the body of anyone executed as a deterrent. Others are convinced that the column was built between 1552 and 1560 upon completion of the Ellbögner Straße road. It is even believed that the column may have been built as a defence against the plague or as a plague memorial. It is a mystery, one we are very interested in solving!