Archaeological museum of Innsbruck
Advanced booking is required!
The "Archaeological museum of Innsbruck - a collection of casts and originals from the University" was founded in 1869 and represents the second oldest archaeological university collection in Austria.
The collection consists of a combination of casts, copies and originals totalling over 1000 items, making it the largest collection of classical antiquities in western Austria and giving it a special position within the Tyrolean museum scene. The museum offers an almost complete overview of the development of Greek and Roman art.
The objects on display include sculptures, architecture and small works of art dating from the Minoan-Mycenaean period right through to the Archaic, Classical and Hellenistic periods, Etruscan and Roman art and Late Antiquity. The original location in the main university building (Innrain 52, 3rd floor) focuses on ancient Greek sculpture.
Other exhibits have been relocated to the new Centre for Ancient Cultures (Langer Weg 11, 1st floor), including Roman finds and objects from prehistoric times, the Near East and Roman times in Tyrol.
Free entry - voluntary donations are welcome