All good things come in threes, so they say. But in Innsbruck they come in sixes! At least as far as Innsbruck's "Christmas in the Mountains
" (Bergweihnacht) is concerned. Six different Christmas markets each with its own character and special features give you the perfect opportunity to linger and explore. The tradition started in 1973 with the traditional marke
t outside the Golden Roof. The Family Market
on the market square has a homely atmosphere and lots of exciting attractions for children. The Modern Market
on Maria-Theresien-Strasse, Innsbruck's splendid main avenue, has a very special vibe with sparkling tree lights and modern lighting design. The Panorama Market
on the Hungerburg with fantastic views of Innsbruck is simply irresistible, whilst the magic of Christmas
on Wiltener Platzl includes genuine arts and crafts, outstanding food and a select cultural programme. But if you’d like to escape all the pre-Christmas hustle and bustle and enjoy a moment or two of quiet reflection
, head for Hans-Brenner-Platz square in the St. Nikolaus district.
To enjoy a truly comprehensive Christmas experience, why not visit all six markets!
- Award-winning! Innsbruck has been recognised as one of the most beautiful Christmas market destinations in the world.
- The first Christmas market in the Old Town was held in 1973 with 12 stalls.
- 5,800 light bulbs and 12 km of light garlands using energy-saving LED lights create a wonderful ambience in the markets.
- The Swarovski crystal tree on the market square is 16 m high, with more than 170,000 Swarovski crystals sparkling on it.
- Great for kids: discover Rapunzel, Snow White, Haymon the Giant and many other well-known mythical and fairy-tale characters in the Fairy Tale and Giants' Alley in the Old Town!
Route length7 km
Trail surfaceWheelchair and buggy friendly