Eglise paroissiale Mariahilf
Parish church ‘Mariahilf’ The Saint Mary’s parish church was built in 1647/48, and is one of renowned master builder and architect Christoph Gumpp’s masterpieces. The nave from the early baroque era with its renaissance portal , entrance hall, five exedras, and its encased sacristy, is capped with a magnificent rotunda. The altars, as well as the pulpit, were fashioned in the late 1800s by sculptor Urban Klieber.
Particularly notable are the fresco by Kaspar Waldmann, the stucco by Hans Schor, the retable by Johann Paul Schor, which depicts the church’s history, and a copy of Lucas Cranach’s Madonna.
Originally built as a votive church in thanks to the state’s aversion of an imminent threat of war,it later gained importance as a church of pilgrimage and occasionally served as University Church. Furthermore, it has been acting as parish church for Innsbruck’s Mariahilf district since 1853.
Open to the public during the day.Guided tours are possible upon request.