Erected in 1842 as a summer villa for the State Governor, the Kunstpavillon in the Kleiner Hofgarten has been home to the artist association since 1951. Adapted at the time by the architect Hans Fritz, the building offers some 174 square metres of floor space and 53 running metres of hanging space overall. The Kunstpavillon also houses the offices of the Tiroler Künstlerschaft association.
For several years now, the programme of the Kunstpavillon and the Stadtturmgalerie has been generated by way of a call for projects addressed to the members of the association and to artists beyond the region.
A jury made up of association members and external experts selects among the submitted projects. In 2008 the exhibition programme will be held together and given an extra boost by the year-long theme of GRENZZIEHUNGEN? (Demarcations?). Lectures and symposia on particular aspects will accompany the exhibitions in such a way that the different formats will merge in the process and arrive at something new.