The Martinsbühel, which was known as "St. Martinsberg" (St. Martin's Mountain) until the 19th century is located on a rocky ridge at the foot of the Martinswand rock face by the River Inn.
Prehistoric finds on this hill provide evidence of a very early settlement and, in 180 AD, the Romans built Castell Teriolis here. Duke Frederick "of the empty pockets" and Archduke Sigismund used the Martinsbühel as a hunting lodge and things got particularly lively in later years when Emperor Maximilian organised a show hunt at the Martinswand rock face.
In the 17th century, however, the facilities became increasingly neglected and were later sold by the government. In 1888, the Benedictine Father Edmund Hager acquired the Martinsbühel estate. Today, it belongs to St. Peter's Abbey in Salzburg.