BOBSLEIGH, LUGE AND SKELETON TRACK IN IGLS
Bobsleigh, luge and skeleton track in Igls
The Olympic ice track has a long tradition. The first World Championships took place here in 1935, although back then the races were still held on a natural track.
The era of artificial ice began in the early 1960s. For the 1964 Olympic Games in Innsbruck, two separate artificial ice tracks were built for the bobsleigh and luge competitions. The tracks were some of the most impressive in the world, boasting a length of 1,506 m, 13 curves and a vertical drop of 136 m.
For the 1976 Winter Olympics, the tracks were replaced with a combined bobsleigh, luge and skeleton track.
This sports facility was the world's first combined track and became a model for many future artificial bobsleigh and luge ice tracks.
The facility was constantly extended in the years that followed. Today, the entire complex is one of the most modern in the world.
• Total length: 1,270 m
• Difference in altitude: approx. 100 m
• Number of curves: 14 (incl. the "Kreisel" corner)
• Maximum corner height: 7 m
• Total length of cooling pipes installed: 80 km
• Artificial ice surface area: 5,500 m²