Parish Church of St Peter and Paul
The Parish Church of Peter and Paul in the town of Telfs is a monumental Neo-Romanesque basilica with a nave, two aisles and two front towers. The building is relatively new and was built between 1859 and 1863, incorporating parts of the building that previously stood on the site. Some of the church’s original frescos were exposed when the church was last renovated at the beginning of the 1980s.
The basilica’s wall and altar paintings are designed in the emotive style of the 19th century and depict scenes from the lives of Peter, Paul and other saints. Other highlights include the Pirchner Organ in the gallery and the attractive Baroque figure of the patron saint of Telfs, Saint Sebastian, in the right side altar. This statue is carried through the town in a ceremonial procession every year on 20 January, St Sebastian’s Day. The area to the left of the door leading into the church contains slightly raised remains of a wall fresco that dates back to the year 1570 and features a portrait of the pious Staudacher family from Telfs. The preservation of the painting right through to the present day can be attributed to the fact that, when the church was rebuilt, the tower of the earlier Gothic church was left standing and incorporated into the new building.
Although most elements of the current parish church only date back to the 19th century, Telfs itself is a very old church location, with official documents confirming the medieval origin of several churches and chapels in the town. The Telfs Parish Archive contains a consecration document that dates back to 1113 and is therefore the oldest in North Tyrol, although it is not completely clear which of the town’s churches the document refers to.